10.24.2009

Story of Rowan

Hi all! Yes, it is I, Nancy.. finally making a post! Rowan is 3 1/2 weeks old and I am finally getting my footing in the world again. I was thinking about keeping "great thoughts" or "not so great thoughts (aka.. Nancy's thoughts) on the world/family/life on this site. But first, I thought I would write the story of Rowan's adventure into this world (11 days late!).... let's go back to the faithful day.

Tuesday, September 29th

8:15am: Nancy is up and showered - trying to get to work. Ben and James are still sleeping.
9:15am: James is dropped off at daycare and we go to work.
10:00am: Nancy at work typying ... saying aloud "I think I am having contractions".. but I didn't really know.. I was kinda joking to freak out the students in the office to practice safe sex.
12:30pm: Nancy says "See you tomorrow" after a meeting she attends and runs out to the car to meet Ben to go to the Radiologist.
1:15pm: Radiologist tech says "Baby is 8lbs, 13 oz... + or - 1 pount". To that Nancy says "holy crap! I don't really want a 9'13" baby!". I also said to her "Well, maybe the baby will come tonight". The radiologist tech says "No way, you are closed up tight".
2:00pm: Nancy is eating Qudoba at back at work trying to finish a project.
3:45pm: Nancy says "See you tomorrow" to her other co-workers and run to the doctors for a stress test appointment
4:00pm: Nancy is hooked up to the machines that measure the contractions (if any) and heartbeat of the baby. The nurse says "really low heartrate... indicative of a boy". Nancy says to Ben... I think that I am having contractions (as the line on the machine goes up and down). Nurse doesn't say anything. We decide to play it by ear if we will do an induction on Friday because of how the baby is postitioned. Doctors say "good luck" before she leaves on vacation.
4:55pm: We pick up James a daycare... all of the way there I say "Ben, I think I getting come weird feelings comes from "down there". Our daycare provider, Jan, says "tonight is the night". I brush it off.
6:00pm: After continued "weird feelings", Nancy's makes dinner for James (mac/cheese), packs, and Ben walks James back over to daycare for the night. He calls our doctor (now on vacation) and she says "take a bath and relax". Nancy disagrees with the advise.
6:15pm: Ben calls the hospital and they said that we should probably start making our way in.
7:15pm: Ben pulls into the hospital parking lot "Nancy, we should use valet parking". "No, I want to walk in"... Ben says "were should we park"... contraction comes on and Nancy says "I don't give teh @#$##%# where we park... and you better know where we are going in the hospital" Ben gulps.
7:30pm: We arrive at the nurses station... nurse says "Please fill out this paperwork"... contraction comes on .. Nurse says "Let's, just go to the triage station and get a baby's heartrate". In the triage station another contraction starts ..nurse says "Let's... just get the doctor"
7:32pm: Doogie Howsier comes in (seriously, the resident on call was like 14 years old). He exams me and says "She is at 7 and totally effaced.... who is her doctor and where is the closest room"
7:32 and 30 sec: Nurse says "Do want anything for the pain?" I say "how much time do I have to decide"... she says "umm.. now it is too late. Are you ready for a natural birth". Nancy's glups and says something under her breath looking at Ben.
8:00pm: Nancy's doctor arrives cheering! No induction.
8:10pm: Ben asks if Nancy needs anything... she says "Don't talk to me, don't touch me, don't even breath on me".
9:00pm: I feel the urge to start to push and I am still standing up. The doctor says "You can keeping standing and you can deliver that way".... ummmm NO!
9:20pm: Lots of animal noises and screaming happening... I open my eyes to see the the weirdest look on the resident's face. He must be 14!
9:38pm: My doctor hits my leg and says "Open your eyes...you are having a girl!" What??? a girl?
10:00pm: Ben is calling people saying "this time is what a lot easier"... Nancy says "easier for you?"

Seriously, it was the easiest and best birthing experience that I could have ever wished for. She was 7 pound 9 ounces... so much for 8'13"! What do radiologist tech's know!

By the time we checked out on Thursday... I wished that I could have had another day at the Hilton (aka St. Mary's Hospital). Cable, personal bathroom, food brought to you, no 3 year old! What else could you have wished for.

~Nancy

2 comments:

sara said...

congrats nancy!
i am surprised you even remember how to post!

Anonymous said...

That’s me!!!!!